For the Yuca:
- 2 lbs (about 1 kg) of yuca (cassava), peeled and cut into chunks
- Water for boiling
- Salt to taste
For the Chicharrón:
- 1 lb (450g) of pork belly, cut into small pieces
- Salt to taste
For the Curtido (Cabbage Salad):
- 1 small head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Yuca:
- Place the yuca chunks in a large pot of salted water.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the yuca until it’s tender and can be easily pierced with a fork, usually around 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the yuca and set it aside.
2. Prepare the Chicharrón:
- Season the pork belly pieces with salt.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat and add the pork belly pieces.
- Fry the pork belly until it’s crispy and golden brown on all sides. Remove any excess oil by placing them on a paper towel.
3. Make the Curtido (Cabbage Salad):
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, sliced red onion, diced tomatoes, and minced garlic.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the white vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper to create the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss everything together until well coated. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
4. Assemble the Vigorón:
- To serve, place a portion of the cooked yuca on a plate.
- Top the yuca with a generous portion of chicharrón.
- Spoon some of the curtido (cabbage salad) on top of the chicharrón.
- Serve the Vigorón immediately while it’s still warm. It’s often enjoyed with a cold beverage like a soda or a cerveza (beer).
Vigorón is a delicious and satisfying dish that combines the creamy texture of yuca, the crispy goodness of chicharrón, and the tangy crunch of curtido. Enjoy your taste of Nicaragua!
La verdad que es una buena combinación de ingrediantes, especialmente si se puede conseguir el chicharrón con un poco de carnita…luego con una Pepsi helada…y vas de viaje!