Carne desmenuzada is a popular Nicaraguan dish made from shredded beef that is often served with rice and beans. You might get it throughout the country but Managua, Nicaragua is a haven for good recipes. Here is a recipe to make carne desmenuzada:
- 2 pounds of beef chuck roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Cut the beef into large chunks and season with cumin, oregano, and salt.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides.
- Add the chopped onion, red bell pepper, and minced garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Let the beef simmer for about 2-3 hours or until it is tender and easily shreds with a fork. Check on the beef occasionally and add more water if necessary.
- Once the beef is tender, remove it from the pot and shred it with two forks.
- Return the shredded beef to the pot and mix it with the remaining sauce. Cook for another 10-15 minutes on low heat to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the carne desmenuzada hot with rice and beans or as desired.
Enjoy your delicious carne desmenuzada (carne deshilada) from Nicaragua!